Thursday, January 29, 2009

Kototama Medicine, My Story

By Dr. Thomas E. Duckworth, DKM, L.Ac.

There is a Japanese phrase, Hari wa hito nari, translated as "Acupuncture is an expression of the person. That is, acupuncture is an art and artists have their own personal way with the needle. It's been stated that great acupuncturists "all needle in a way that's idiosyncratic to their own personality." (Traditional Japanese Acupuncture, Robert Hayden, Dipl. Ac.; 1999.)

Masahilo M. Nakazono Osensei taught his students to treat, trust and respect the needle as a samurai treated, trusted and respected his/her sword. Sensei was an extraordinary artist and highly trained samurai. When I first met Sensei, my desire was not so much the medicine, I wanted to study him. In fact, I have stated that if Sensei had been a bicycle repairman, I'd be fixing bikes now. However, he was a medicine man and one of the most influential persons of my life.

I began my professional acupuncture practice June 1980 in Santa Fe, two days after I graduated from the Kototama Institute. My schooling was a unique form of Japanese Hari (acupuncture), Okyu (moxibustion), Te a te (bodywork), Shoni-shin (non-needle pediatric therapy) and Shokuji (diet) known as Kototama Natural Life Medicine. This system was developed by Dr. Masahilo M. Nakazono (Osensei) and included Roku-Bu-Jio-Yi (‘both hands, six pulses' diagnosis), Jingei (Carotid artery diagnosis), Keiraku Chiryo (Meridian Therapy), Kototama Gogio (Kototama Five Element Principles), Ampuku (Abdominal diagnosis & treatment), Sakai Hon Li Te a te (Abdominal handwork handed down by Sakai Sensei), Gogio Anma and Shiatsu (Five Element bodywork), Nakazono Kappo (muscular/skeletal therapy), Sotai (muscle reprogramming therapy), traditional dietary practices and the study and practice of Kototama Sound meditation and therapeutics.

I was introduced to the study of the Kototama Principle in 1974. I began my studies of Oriental Medicine with Masahilo Nakazono Sensei in 1977 after experiencing his medicine on my wife, my son, my daughter and finally, myself, when he saved a severely infected finger from amputation. I asked if I could study with him; he consented and when I had completed my basic studies in 1980, I continued as his apprentice for eight more years. All my studies throughout those years were through Sensei.

In 1986, I presented my research on the interpretation of the Roku-Bu-Jio-Yi pulses viewed through the paradigm of the Kototama Principle and Osensei presented me with a Doctor of Kototama Life Medicine degree in 1987. I am the only graduate of the Kototama Institute to achieve this rank and honor. The system of diagnosis and clinical care I provide is termed Inochi (Japanese: Life) Medicine.

This blog is aimed at patients, acupuncturists, students and friends. It is intended to share some of my knowledge and experiences I have gained in 29 years of study and practice of Kototama Inochi Medicine. It is hoped that this will inspire discussion and further study of all aspects of healing and the healing process.

No comments:

Post a Comment